Care for Your Dentures
Published: August 5, 2015
Just like natural teeth, Dr. Sarah Jockin and Dr. Nicole Morganti will tell you that dentures have a tendency to get coated with plaque, which is a sticky, transparent film that attracts food and bacteria. When you don’t take care of your dentures adequately and regularly, plaque can build up, harden, and become difficult to remove. More importantly, it can result in dental problems, including gum disease and infection. Proper care for your dentures also helps them maintain their shape, fit the way they are supposed to, and last longer.
Cleaning your dentures
Your dentures should be cleaned with the same diligence as you clean natural teeth.
- Take out dentures and rinse them after eating. To remove food particles, run water over your dentures.
- Clean your teeth after denture removal. Once dentures have been removed, use a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush existing teeth, gums, and tongue.
- Scrub your dentures on a daily basis. At least once per day, gently scrub your dentures with a soft-bristled toothbrush and denture cleanser.
- Soak dentures overnight. In order to keep their shape intact, many dentures must remain moist. Always use a mild denture solution recommended by our office. Never use hot water on your dentures, as they may warp their shape.
- Rinse dentures prior to placing them back in your mouth. This is especially important if you soak your dentures in a denture solution.
- Dentures are fragile and can break when dropped. It’s a good idea to hold them in a soft cloth or towel to keep them from falling and breaking.
Over time, even with diligent daily care, your dentures may form difficult-to-remove tartar. When this happens, our team at Lake Park Dental uses a powerful ultrasonic cleaner to remove stubborn, denture build-up.
Proper care for your dentures can help retain their shape, prevent oral issues, and increase their longevity. Visit Dr. Sarah Jockin and Dr. Nicole Morganti regularly at our convenient Tampa, FL office to maintain your oral health and keep your dentures in tip-top shape.Talk to US About an Appointment